Information Design - Final Project


3/2/2025 - //2025 (Week 1 - Week 7)

Lim Yeng San (0366316)
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylors University
Final Project

TABLE OF CONTENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

Fig 1.1: The MIB for Information Design

PROCESS WORK
Research
I paired with my friend Loh Kai Xuan for this project. We chose to use my chosen cannoli recipe for the video.

Fig 2.1: Grandma Clara's cannoli recipe from Pasta Grannies

Link to Pasta Grannies video: https://youtu.be/Hzs-0vLIQxs?si=Awj_Y91zcPvJbJ6I


Before drawing the storyboard, I studied some recipe motion graphic videos on YouTube for their visual and animation style.

Strawberry milkshake by Greeble: https://youtu.be/dxhL_UQAghU?si=wLEu_CcgJX_Mq4g_
Chocochip cookies by Phuc Hong: https://youtu.be/jGSnztuZj5w?si=or_Tr4bWaH6u40dn

We agreed on a simple lineless style for the video so we reused some assets from my instructable poster.

Fig 2.2: Project 1 instructable poster


I separated the illustrations we were going to use, sent the pastry files to Kai Xuan and used the cream files myself.


Fig 2.3 and 2.4: Pastry illustrator assets



Fig 2.5 and 2.6: Cream illustrator assets


Pre-production
The storyboard had to be changed a couple of times with Kai Xuan's help and input but this is the best version that we came up with.


Fig 2.7 and 2.8: Final project storyboard


From the storyboard, Kai Xuan made an animatic video on Flipaclip.

Fig 2.9: Final project animatic


After Effects Cream Animation
We split the video into 2 separate parts. Kai Xuan did the pastry part while I did the cream part. I followed the animatic and storyboard closely matching the plan with some minor changes.

Fig 2.10: After effects progress

I added a liquid animation in the sugar pouring. To do this I followed a tutorial on YouTube.

Link to liquid animation YouTube tutorial: https://youtu.be/sTsQVzK5asQ?si=pyhcqS-197mNQcuT

Fig 2.11: Liquid animation


I made the animations bouncy and used puppetry in the mixing and ricotta pouring to make it more realistic.

Fig 2.12: Puppet animation progress


Once I was done with everything, I sent the video to Kai Xuan for compiling and sound effects.

Fig 2.13: Cream video

Link to cream video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/M63lLykSky4
Link to cream video on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19HFF-i_W6mXVc4RLUVuydldNbztgpfXY/view?usp=drive_link


Compilation
Kai Xuan compiled and edited both of our parts on Adobe Premiere Pro.

Fig 2.14: Kai Xuan's premiere pro editing


She also compiled and edited the sound effects in Adobe Audition and added the background music. Once everything was finalized, I resized the video down to 1280 x 720px and uploaded it into YouTube.

Fig 2.15: Kai Xuan's audition progress


Final Outcome

Fig 2.16: Final video

Link to final recipe video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/BRMdR6uCS7A



FEEDBACK
Week 6
Good storyboard. Try to figure out how to fit the video length requirement.

Week 7
- Straighten the boxes in the storyboard
- Add the titles for the pastry and cream segments in the animatic

Week 8
- Good timing on the animation
- The sugar pouring animation clips into the sugar bottle
- The ricotta animation should look different by scaling up the chunks instead of using opacity
- The spoon stirring animation should last longer
- After the mixture goes through the sieve, the animation should look different
- The filling animation should look different instead of using opacity
- Add more sugar particles at the end

REFLECTION
I like how the final animation turned out even though the vector illustration process was pretty tedious. I'm thankful that I got to work with my friend and create something nice together. My lecturer, Mr. Kannan's feedback have also been helpful in improving the animations.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project