Digital Matte Painting - Final Compilation



23/4/2025 - //2025 (Week 1 - Week 14)

Lim Yeng San (0366316)
Digital Matte Painting / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylors University
Final Compilation

TABLE OF CONTENTS
  • Instructions
  • Exercises
  • Project 01
  • Project 02
  • Final Project
  • Feedback
  • Reflection

INSTRUCTIONS
Fig 1.1: The MIB for Digital Matte Painting

EXERCISES
Week 2
We did a perspective exercise in class by taking photos around campus and lining the vanishing points.



Fig 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3: Perspective exercises


Week 3
I drew the perspective drawing exercises






Fig 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9: Perspective drawings


Week 4
We did a sky replacement exercise in class

Fig 2.10: Sky replacements


Week 5
I drew some compositions



Fig 2.11, 2.12 and 2.13: Composition drawings


Week 6
I added values to the compositions



Fig 2.14, 2.15 and 2.16: Value studies


I also did the virtual plein air


Fig 2.17 and 2.18: Virtual plein air 1


Fig 2.19 and 2.20: Virtual plein air 2


Fig 2.21 and 2.22: Virtual plein air 3


Week 7
I did the 2.5D matte by separating the layers from an image I downloaded

Fig 2.23: Downloaded image


Fig 2.24 and 2.25: After effects screenshots


Week 8
I finished the 2.5D matte video

Fig 2.26: 2.5D matte video


I also did the invisible set extension

Fig 2.27: Original photo

Fig 2.28: Invisible set extension


I also did an additional sky replacement

Fig 2.29: Sky replacement 3


Final Outcome
Fig 2.30: Exercises



PROJECT 01
Week 9
I got approval to use Tokyo Godfathers as my main inspiration. I drew the compositions and value studies for Project 1.




Fig 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4: Compositions





Fig 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8: Value studies


Week 10
I drew the storyboard for Project 1.

Fig 3.9: Early storyboard


Final Outcome
Fig 3.10: Project 1



PROJECT 02
Week 11
I started on the compositions

Fig 4.1: Composition 1 progress


Week 12
I did the other compositions

Fig 4.2: Composition 1 progress

Fig 4.2: Composition 1 

Fig 4.3: Composition 2 

Fig 4.4: Composition 3 


Final Outcome
Fig 4.5: Project 02


Back to top

FINAL PROJECT
Week 13
I started working on the video by testing the camera movements

Fig 5.1: Camera movement test


I then made a new storyboard as I was planning on more camera movements for the video.

Fig 5.2: Revised storyboard


Week 14
I noticed some mistakes in the original composition and fixed them

Fig 5.3: Fixed composition


Based on the feedback, I slowed down the camera movements. I also inserted sound effects and stock footage.

Fig 5.4: Layer separation

Fig 5.5: Stock footage insertion

Fig 5.6: Video progress 2


I refined the video and uploaded it into YouTube.

Fig 5.7: Final Project

Fig 5.8: Final VFX video




FEEDBACK
Week 2
- Don't assume the vanishing point in the 3rd photo

Week 4
- Good sky replacements

Week 7
- Good perspectives and angles on 2.5D matte

Week 10
- The storyboard is approved

Week 12
- Make the image look more realistic

Week 13
- The camera movements on the billboards are a bit fast



REFLECTION
I'm happy with what I achieved in this module. It was enlightening to learn about matte painting and to be exposed to 2.5D. The video making process wasn't bad as I'm quite interested in video production after learning about them in previous modules. I hope to increase my knowledge on video making and VFX to improve in the future.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project