Game Art - Final Compilation
23/4/2025 - //2025 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Lim Yeng San (0366316)
Game Art / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylors University
Final Compilation
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Instructions
- Process Work
- Feedback
- Reflection
INSTRUCTIONS
Fig 1.1: The MIB for Game Art
PROCESS WORK
Week 1
I chose Bastion as the main inspiration for the project. I played through the
game and documented the game study
Week 2
I compiled a mood board for the location and creatures
Week 3
I sketched some bird variations
Week 4
I updated the bird design and thought of the concept
I also started drawing the protagonist character and weapons
Week 5
I started the 3D block out for the bird, drew a thumbnail sketch and
updated the character design.
Fig 2.8: 3D blockout
Fig 2.14: Character and weapons update
Week 7
I worked on the weapon
Exercises Final Outcome
Fig 2.19: Exercises PDF
Project 1 Final Outcome
Fig 2.20: Project 1 PDF
Week 9
I detailed the bird and drew the action sheet
Fig 2.22: Bird action sheet
Week 10
I continued detailing the bird
Week 11
I coloured the bird in ZBrush
Fig 2.24: Initial coloured bird
I then recoloured the bird in Substance Painter
Fig 2.26: Project 2 PDF
Week 13
I started retopologizing the model
Week 14
I finished retopologizing the model. I did it manually and used the
QRemesher add-on and decimate modifier to save time. I then baked the high
poly models on the retopologized models.
Fig 2.28: Retopologized model
Week 15
I animated the bird in Blender and imported into Unity.
Fig 2.29: Animating in Blender
Fig 2.32: Unity animation
Fig 2.34: Final project PDF
FEEDBACK
Week 3
The bird legs are quite thin
Week 4
- Approved bird redesign
- The character designs don't match the style of Bastion
Week 6
Increase the size of the head of the character
Week 7
Make the axe silhouette a bit more pronounced
Week 9
- Add more details
- The legs are better
Week 10
Can colour the bird
Week 11
The colours are too washed, do the colouring in Substance Painter
REFLECTION
This task was very challenging as it required a lot of knowledge in different fields. While it was a good challenge, it was very tedious at times especially during baking, retopologizing, animating the 3D model and placing it into Unity. It took a lot of referencing Blender and Unity forums and YouTube videos in order to fix minor and major issues. Although it was stressful, I'm grateful for the experience it brought me.
Comments
Post a Comment